Monday, February 2, 2015

The One Ring to Rule Them All

Just recently a young boy was suspended from his school in Kermit, Texas for bragging to one of his school friends that he could make them become invisible with the fictional magical "one ring" from The Lord of the Rings book and movie trilogy.

The charge was apparently that of a "terroristic threat" towards the other child. The principal of the school, Roxanne Greer, was thought to have said to the father that "threats to another child’s safety would not be tolerated, even if they were make believe."

The father had explained that their family had just recently seen the newest installment of the Hobbit trilogy; The Hobbit the Battle of the Five Arms, and that is why their son was acting this way. His son was just pretending, as kids usually do.

In my opinion I think this story is unbelievably ridiculous. The child was just playing pretend. I used to play pretend just like this. I would run around as if I were an elf from the Lord of the Rings. I had an imaginary bow and arrow set and a sword and everything. I would go on adventures with my friend and we would have the time of our lives.

If anything I applaud the young boy for what he did. It's very refreshing when a young person can actually use their imagination to have fun rather than have their eyes glued to a screen for hours on end.

I will never understand why the principal did what she did. Even though I feel this way I do feel obligated to say that despite how ridiculous this is to me, I do respect everyone's right to their one opinion on the subject. Everyone sees the world differently and perhaps in the principal's eyes this truly was an act of terrorism.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more that is uncalled for and unnecessary for a child to go threw at such a young age. The most outrageous thing is that they used the term "terroristic threat" which is insane and i feel that school needs more teachers with an imagination.this reminds me of the time when my brother was suspended his junior year for saying " due to the school facility i can't believe a columbine hasn't happened here" a teacher overheard and turn him in we had to take to school to court and we won because there was no real threat and it was just the fact that he didn't like my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more that is uncalled for and unnecessary for a child to go threw at such a young age. The most outrageous thing is that they used the term "terroristic threat" which is insane and i feel that school needs more teachers with an imagination.this reminds me of the time when my brother was suspended his junior year for saying " due to the school facility i can't believe a columbine hasn't happened here" a teacher overheard and turn him in we had to take to school to court and we won because there was no real threat and it was just the fact that he didn't like my brother.

    ReplyDelete